The holidays are all about spending time with loved ones and being thankful for what we have. That said, you probably have a long to-do list ahead of you. From putting up decorations to getting that last-minute shopping done, there are plenty of things that must be done the next few weeks. The last thing you want to deal with is nagging back pain this holiday season. Here are some tips for staying pain-free during the holidays:
- Get a good night’s sleep – This is especially important for those who will be going out of town. You may not have known that traveling while tired increases your chance of injury. So do yourself a favor and get enough zzz’s prior to the start of a road trip or flight.
- Maintain proper driving posture – Speaking of road trips, back pain specialists confirm that many back problems are either caused or aggravated by poor driving posture. Double-check that the seat position is slightly backward so that it feels natural and that your elbows are at a comfortable and relaxed angle.
- Be proactive on your flight – Many of us like to enjoy an adult beverage and then take a nap when flying. However, alcohol only causes you to dehydrate and can increase muscle pain. So drink plenty of water instead. In addition, take the chance to get up and stretch your legs whenever possible.
- Get moving after reaching your destination – It makes sense to want to lay down and relax for a while after a long car ride or flight. However, your back will appreciate if you take even a short walk or do some other sort of light exercise instead.
- Opt for a comfortable bed – Not everyone’s back responds the same to every kind of bed. Be aware that firm mattresses are not always best. Still, it’s easier to soften a hard bed than make a soft one harder.
- Take time to relax – Things happen this time of year that are out of your control. All that underlying tension can lead to unnecessary back pain. Do what you can to stay relaxed. Whenever possible, delegate certain tasks to other family members. The last thing you want is to overdo it and wind up in major pain while everyone else is having fun.
- Get in touch with a chiropractor – An appointment with a local chiropractor is a great way to set yourself up for success. A chiropractor can help ease any tightened joints and come up with a strategy for keeping you pain-free, even during stressful times.
Not Your Average Chiropractor
At Williams Chiropractic, we do so much more besides providing treatment for back pain. Think of us as the go-to wellness clinic in Clemmons. We are the only chiropractic clinic in the state with the Pro-Adjuster and DRX 9000 systems. What does this mean for you? Well, we’re able to help patients facing difficult situations enjoy the back pain relief they’ve always wanted.
From back pain treatment to weight loss assistance, see what Williams Chiropractic can do for you. Request an appointment with our chiropractor today.